In general, travel for leisure is a health benefit. To reduce stress and improve productivity in all areas of your life, getting away is the best way to rejuvenate the mind and body. However, too often, people take vacations that don’t include healthy living, which can seriously impact the benefits of a vacation.
One thing you’re not going to find at a luxury retreat is junk food. The meals at spa resorts are excellently prepared for taste, quality, and nutrition. Many locations are all-inclusive, meaning you won’t have to worry about the price of each meal when you’re checking out the menu. Additionally, quality spas won’t fill buffets with foods loaded with unhealthy fats or items full of sugar. Common luxury resort foods include,
- Fresh seafood bars with tiger shrimp, king crab legs, and oysters
- Wood-grilled duck breast with freshly picked garden vegetables
- Vegan risotto
- Breakfast buffet with organic fruit and berry yogurts, pork and chicken sausage, and organic, free-range eggs
These meals aren’t prepared by amateurs making minimum wage or low-quality ingredients. You get what you pay for with top sous and pastry chefs, organic fruits and vegetables, and lean meats with farm to table freshness. Options are everything. No one wants to eat at the same hotel restaurant for seven days. Luxury locations provide multiple dining choices, from beach cafes to rooftop candlelit dinners under the stars.
The key to great travel is endless activities that are fun, challenging, and interesting. Luxury resorts are full of these ventures that the hardest parts will be choosing the right location and completing everything before it’s time to leave. These options vary widely by the destination, with winter-weather activities in the colder months and colder regions and beach ventures throughout the summer months and in some areas, all year long. Some take place on the property’s grounds and others in nearby locations. These activities can include
- Kayaking through a state park
- Deep-sea fishing in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean
- 18-rounds on a private, PGA golf course
- Horseback riding along a beach or through the countryside
- Rock climbing
- Paddleboarding across a lake
The activities aren’t all physical. Many locations offer culinary classes, painting opportunities, photography walks, and one-on-one experiences with professional makeup artists. One of the best parts of all onsite and offsite activities is you don’t have to have any equipment. The resorts provide everything from the kayaks and kiteboards to the rock climbing equipment and golf clubs. Of course, if you’re an avid golfer, don’t sweat it, it’s okay to bring your own.
Top-Rated Exercise Facilities
Additionally, luxury spas have some of the most top-rated fitness centers around with large gyms, Olympic-size pools, and exercise classes to start your day. The classes aren’t your average fitness experiences, with options like,
- Specialized boot camp challenges
- Daily dance
- Sunrise beach yoga and meditation
Most onsite fitness centers are open 24-hours, so you can get in a workout before breakfast or hit it up late before getting to sleep. They provide towels, water bottles, and other accessories, so there is no reason to pack them.
More Pampering Options
While scrumptious, nutritious meals, amazing activities, and workout facilities that are over the top, nothing compares the actual spa services luxury resorts offer. These destinations understand after working your body to the max hiking mountains, tackling the slopes, or hammering hard in a challenging spin class, your body needs some extra love and pampering. Here, the opportunities will seem endless, from facials and hot stone massages to full hair and nail services. Other options can include,
- Ayurveda treatments, such as Abhyanga, Shamana-Karma, and Rasayana Shirodhara massages
- Body renewal rituals, such as full-body scrubs, skin peels, body polishes, and lymphatic dry brushing
- Traditional deep tissue and Swedish massages
- Salt float zero gravity therapy
- Light therapy
- Detoxifying treatments, such as seaweed wraps and baths
- Facials, including clinical-strength retinol peels, vitamin C applications, collagen boosters, deep cleansing, exfoliating scrubs for men and women
Additionally, some guests try non-surgical facial lifts and other non-invasive procedures, such as Botox injections, oxygen infusions, and lip treatment.
Whether you only have a long weekend or a full week, or even a ten-day vacation, spending time at a luxury spa is a trip you don’t want to skip. It will relax and restore your health so you can put your best self forward at home and work when you return.