It’s time for yet another installment of Monday’s Money Saving Tips to kick start your week of travel. This time it’s all about getting FREE laundry. I rarely pay for laundry on my travels, and it is something I generally hate doing, but we all need to keep our clothes clean so here’s what to do to save money on laundry.
Firstly always carry with you a small plastic bag full of washing powder. Not a big bag, just enough to get you through about 2 months of travel, then top up again.
I tend to get lazy with it and re-wear clothes a lot and hand wash them in hostel sinks, but to get them washed properly for free, find a hostel or laundrette with a coin slot machine. These are particularly common in Australia and New Zealand.
Most of them will accept 1 and 2 dollar coins, sometimes both together. However what they charge is irrelevant, as if you listen to my tips you will be getting free laundry.
To get free laundry you will need: your dirty clothes, washing powder, a washing machine with a coin slot, 3 cotton buds and NO MONEY. Here’s how to get free laundry in 3 easy steps:
1. Open the washing machine and put your dirty smelly clothes in it.
2. Find the washing powder drawer and put your cheap washing powder in it.
3. Go to the silver coin slot, holding THREE cotton buds,
4. Place one cotton bud in each coin slot (even if the machine only requires 2 coins, but has a free coin slot).
5. Gently close the silver coin slot, keeping hold of the three cotton buds and not releasing them until you hear a click sound and the silver coin slot has been pushed all the way in.
6. Pull out the three cotton buds for using next time
7. Hey presto! Your free laundry is underway. hang around and wait on your clothes!
So there you go today with a nice simple tip on saving money on laundry on your travels. Most travellers I have encountered don’t know about this, so hope I’m not spreading the good word too much to the point where every traveller is getting free laundry and the laundrettes and hostels with these types of washing machines stop using them, and introduce a new method.
In the meantime enjoy your free washing!
PS – The same method also woks for tumble driers of the same type of silver coin slot.