As a global nomad, I find myself far too often looking up some of my dream destinations. I’m not talking backpacking and sightseeing holidays with these though. If you have read my previous Aruba and Maldives posts, you will know that I want to visit some of the famous beach resorts to chill out as well. Which leads me to Mauritius.
Visiting Mauritius for a break means having your most amazing holiday in a breathtaking spot. A friend of mine who I met in Hong Kong actually lives in Mauritius for part of the year and my desires to visit are increasing. I’ve seen a load of mosques, churches and temples recently. The idea of chilling out on a beach is becoming more appealing these days.
Here are five cool facts about Mauritius:
1. For a small island, Mauritius has a population of 1.3 million.
2. Mauritius was the home of the world’s largest bird (well not including dinosaurs!). Sadly the Dodo bird is now extinct.
3. Until the 1500s, Mauritius was unknown, unfound and uninhabited!
4. Public Transport in Mauritius is FREE for students, OAPs and disabled people.
5. Nikolai Topor Stanley who has been capped for Australia is of Mauritian descent.
I’d love to go there and check this place out and of course to sink cold beers with my mate Charlie who knows the ins and outs of the island very well. He has spent the best part of the last 18 months exploring Mauritius. I’m sold on it, but I’ll have to wait…
In the next few weeks, I’ll be listing my travel plans for 2014 on here in a post and so I’m excited for that. I do eventually want to visit every country in the world. It’s a big ask, as I like to travel through them all properly but we shall see. If you want some more information on travelling in Mauritius, Wikitravel has a decent guide.
In the meantime, I hope all your Christmas Travel and Lifestyle Dreams come true. I’ll be spending Christmas in Iran this year, hoping that someday, I’ll be able to welcome Christmas on a beach in Mauritius.