A mesmerizing hill station in the Idukki district of Kerala, Munnar is adorned with lofty mountains, lush greenery, misty clouds, waterfalls and much more. Munnar has derived its name from the merger of three rivers. Situated 1600 meters above the sea level, Munnar is surrounded by the beautiful Western Ghats range. Besides being a popular hill station in the state of Kerala, it also has the biggest tea plantations in the country. Pine and oak trees, cool mountain breeze and beautiful sceneries make Munnar a must-visit for every traveler. If you are planning to visit this place with your friends, you can buy Kerala tour packages from Delhi.
Nestled amidst the Annamalai hills, Munnar is also known as the Kashmir of South India with many awe-inspiring landscapes, layers of verdant tea and coffee plantation, and a huge variety of local flora and fauna. The ideal time to visit Munnar is considered from the months of December to February. Along with beautiful view, there are plenty of places to visit and things to do, when you land here with your friends. Trekking, camping, boating, bird watching, rock climbing, fishing and photography are some of the exciting activities the place offers.
Some of the top attractions in Munnar where you can visit with your friends and family include:
- Echo Point: As the name suggests, the place actually echos back! You can call your name as loud as you can, and in a few seconds, you will hear your echo back. If you are travelling with your kids, this can be a great experience for them.
- Mattupetty Dam: Located 13km away from Munnar, Mattupetty Dam is a gravity dam which has been constructed between the hill ranges and is used for the hydroelectric projects. Here, you can enjoy the serene nature.
- Kundala Dam and Lake: One of the famous tourist attractions in Munnar, Kundala Lake offers splendid views of the hills on the sides of its crystal-clear water. You can enjoy boating and Shikara ride at the lake beside enjoying the view of this first arch dam of the country.
- Attukad Waterfall: Accessible through a wooden bridge, reaching Attukad Waterfall is itself an adventure. The waterfall is a prominent place to visit in Munnar with water cascading at full force from a height of over 1500 meters, especially during the rainy season. Jungle trekking, photography and picnic are some of the activities of the place.
- Elephant Lake: Some people do make a perception that the lake will only be an attraction for the kids, but this serene lake is surrounded by lush green carpets of tea plantations where elephants come to drink water and take a bath. This fascinates a large number of tourists to the lake. If you seek adventure in everything, you can go for a trek in the nearby plantations.
- Anamudi Peak: Elevated at the height of 2700 meters, Anamudi Peak shimmers with the beauty of rolling hills and valleys offering a picturesque view when rivers pass through them. Through Eravikulam National Park, you can trek to the Anamudi Peak which is one of the best tourist attractions.
- Top Station: As the name suggests, Top Station is a railway station located on a height at Kundala Valley. The cottony clouds cover the hills and valleys, offering a bluish look with the presence of Neelakurinji flowers. The station also provides panoramic views of the Western Ghats placing the station in the top numbers on the list of must-visit places in Kerala.
In addition to the above places, Tata Tea Plantation, Chithirapuram, Devikulam, and Chinnakanal are the must-visit. At the end of your trip, you will yourself feel that a trip to Munnar can be easily defined as an experiential journey that gives you an experience of the lifetime. So, plan a trip to Munnar and buy Kerala tour packages from Delhi well in advance to save big.