Looking for a place to visit for your summer vacation? Cebu City is the perfect choice for your next adventure. This city has a lot to offer a traveler looking to make lifetime memories. Check out just some of the reasons by Cebu City should be number one of your list of summer destinations.
- Sumptuous local cuisine – one of the best things about Cebu City is the abundance of delicious food. You’ve probably heard of Anthony Bourdain, well then you’d be happy to know that he labeled the Cebu Lechon, which is roasted pig as the best pork dish he’s ever tasted. For a more casual dining scene, head on over to Larsian, which is a hawker-type place and is popular for its barbecued dishes. Seafood is also in abundance, and also some Chinese-inspired dishes. Whatever you might be craving for, the city will surely be able to offer it to you.
- Friendly locals – one of the worries of travelers when they visit another country is how they can communicate with the locals. It’s hard to get lost in a strange place, more so if you cannot ask the natives. What’s good about the Philippines is that almost everyone can speak English, so you can easily talk with the locals. Filipinos are also very friendly and welcoming. By the time you leave the city, you will have made a lot of friends and already planning your next trip.
- Rich history and culture – did you know that aside from being called the Queen City of the South, Cebu is also the oldest city in the country? It is where the explorer Magellan first came, and where the country’s first Spanish settlement resided. If you’re a fan of history, there are a lot of historical places you can visit such as Magellan’s Cross, where the cross brought by Ferdinand Magellan when he came in 1521 is displayed. You can also check out the churches, particularly Basilica Minore del Santo Nino which houses the country’s oldest relic.
- A lot of activities to choose from – if going to museums and churches is not your thing, don’t worry as the city has so much more to offer. If you like physical activities, you can go trekking with friends, whether you are a beginner or a hardcore trekker, there is something for you. If you like diving, the islands are perfect for you. You can see such a variety of colorful fish and coral and if you travel further to Malapascua Island, you will be able to see thresher sharks. Meanwhile, at Oslob, you can actually swim with the massive but gentle whale sharks. Here’s A List of the Best Tourist Spots in Cebu City by Southpole Central Hotel to guide you to the other places and activities you can go to.
- Breathtaking scenery – imagine a whole stretch of pristine white beaches and natural wildlife. There are also magnificent mountain to visit. But if you are tired of nature, Cebu is a highly urbanized city so you can also enjoy not just nature but also modern amenities such as five-star hotels and accommodation.
Join 15,017 Monthly Readers! If you enjoyed this article and LOVE travel and SAVING money, get e-mail updates from Don’t Stop Living – a lifestyle of travel! (It’s Free) 😉 Jonny
9 thoughts on “Backpacking in the Philippines: 5 Reasons why Cebu City Is One of The Best Places to Visit Every Summer”
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. Photos looks nice which tells about the rich culture and tradition of the country.
stunning your all pictures and article too really nice thanks for sharing n keep it up thn
Hi Yash thanks for the comment I am glad you liked my post. Safe travels. Jonny
Hi Britannia, thanks for the comment and safe travels. Jonny
Great post Jonny! I’ll be in Cebu City in a few months time!
Abbi Morrison recently posted…On the Road Again: Tips to Planning the Perfect Road Trip
I went backpacking in Palawan last October and I loved it too!
So many backpackers, it was a pleasure to meet all those people.
Soon an article about it on my blog http://mcfollowsthesun.com
Hi Marie, thanks for the comment. I backpacked it too back in 2012 – 2013 and had fun. Safe travels. Jonny
Hi Abbi, thanks for the comment. I was there years ago, but actually only for a day – we spent much longer on nearby Bohol island, which I recommend, not sure I wrote much about it, but the butterfly museum was there and were the Chocolate Hills – https://dontstopliving.net/backpacking-in-the-philippines-touring-chocolate-hills-bohol-island/ and this one – https://dontstopliving.net/category/destinations/asia/philippines/bohol/ Enjoy. Jonny
I just got back from Cebu.
It was beautiful and I would highly recommend for night owls and clubbers!