How To Get A SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa

Getting a second Australia working holiday visa

How to get a SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa – yes you might spend endless days cutting broccoli but you’ll love it!

You have to love Australia. It’s hard not to…and you might have already gone there on a working holiday visa  but that year went so fast (or is going so fast) that you need and want another year. You’ve come to the right page. Here’s a full guide on how to get a second Australian Working Holiday Visa to be the sequel to my post on getting your first Australian Working Holiday Visa.

broccoli farming in Tasmania working holiday

Working on a broccoli farm in Moriarty, Tasmania to help me get my SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa.

Right, first of all you will need to have already had your first Australian Working Holiday Visa issued and either in use, or used. So you’ll be in one of these situations:

1. Currently living and working in Australia on your first Working Holiday Visa

2. Currently in Australia on a tourist visa having already done your first Working Holiday  Visa

3. Currently outside Australia but have done your first Working Holiday Visa

Sydney Airport passport stamp Australia Jonny Blair a lifestyle of travel

How to get a SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa!

OK and all three situations are fine to apply, but there are a number of rules, guidelines and catches to follow in order to get things right. It takes a bit of time and thinking. I pondered over this for a long time during my first Australian Working Holiday Visa, before deciding I would be option 3. There are 2 reasons why this is best:

1. If you apply for your second working holiday visa while you are in Australia and are successful, it just continues from the last day of your first year, so you are stuck there and cannot travel in between (well you can, but it uses up your days). I met a few others that did this and they regretted spending 2 bulk years based in one country – even a 2 week holiday to New Zealand, Indonesia or Fiji cuts into your time, so think about it.

2. If you apply for your second working holiday visa while you are outside Australia and are successful you have a year to activate it from the date you get the e-mail, giving you more freedom. (I was in South Africa when I applied and I wanted the freedom).

Now once you know all that and have made your choice you have to also have completed a MINIMUM 88 days of Harvest or Labour Work. As with my application for my First Australian Working Holiday I did it all myself and all online on the OFFICIAL Australian Government Website. Here’s the link:

Get a SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa

second Australian Working Holiday Visa

How to get a SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa – get it online on the official website.

So it will always be cheaper and better to do these things yourself through the official channel. I met travellers who had paid agencies to get their visas for them and they were completely ripped off and completely oblivious to the fact that they were ripped off!

Here are the requirements as listed word for word on the Australian Government website, if you are a day before your 31st birthday it is still OK to apply by the way!:

To Get Your SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa, you must:

  • have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
  • not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
  • be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted
  • be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia, if applying from outside Australia
  • will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
    Note: A dependent child is the child, or step-child, of you or your partner who:

    • is not married, engaged to be married, or in a de facto relationship
    • has not turned 18.

So once you have done your 88 days or 3 months of specified work then you will need to get proof from your employer and also their ABN – Australian Business Number. This is all simple stuff. Just ask your boss for their ABN and a signed sheet to say you did the minimum number of days. In the end I didn’t need to submit the signed sheet but you might be asked for it as they are getting more strict and checking these things more and more.

Getting an Australian Working Holiday Visa

Arrival in the land down under at Sydney Airport in 2009!

How to Fake Your Way to a Second Aussie WHV (the slackers/lazy people’s way!)

If you haven’t done your 88 days or 3 months of specified work then you have two options (I don’t recommend this by the way and I’m a grafter – I do things by the book mostly as it gives me personal satisfaction. I worked hard to get my second year visa and did it the proper way) But if you’re a lazy person or a slacker here’s what to do:

1. Pretend you did the 88 days of specified work and pay a farmer to sign you off and give you an ABN.

2. Just wing it, fill in the forms with an ABN of a company that offers specified work. And hope they don’t phone them and ask!

You’re chancing your arm with these two options but I must admit I met LOTS of travellers who did that. I just feel they are not real travellers and not real hard workers, they cheated their way to a second year visa, they’re lazy and they’re slackers. I did it the proper “backpackers way” and I’m proud of my 5 months of farming work (yes, I did 5 months in the end instead of just the 3 as I loved it!).

What is Specified Work in Regional Australia?

You won’t get it working in a Casino in Melbourne or a Bar in Sydney that’s for sure!! Here is their page on Specified Work: Specified Work – basically worked away from cities, working in the outback, working on farms etc. Just do it – you’ll love the experience of it all and meet some great people!

Making friends in Poatina Tasmania

The amazing group of people I met while farming up in the Tasmanian mountains at Poatina!

What happens if I only did 87 days of Specified Work?

If I were you and you only did 87 days, I’d say you deserve your visa, so get the farmer to sign you off for 88 days. Round it up. My official figure was 105 days in the end over a 5 month period. I remember on the 88th day having a beer for the first time in 6 weeks to celebrate!

Working in Cressy to get my second Working holiday visa for australia

OH YEAH! Day 88 and having my first beer in 6 weeks with my Boss Rebecca on a lonely farm near Cressy, Tasmania!

How much does the SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa Cost?

Ok they have made some important changes as of March 2013, so this post is fairly up to date and here is the latest PDF guidelines: Getting a 2nd Aussie WHV.

The current fee is a whopping $365 Australian Dollars! Sorry folks but that’s the current price. When I got mine back in 2010 it was about half that price so it has really gone up dramatically. Don’t let the price put you off though – you will earn your $365 back in your first few days of work!

working hard in Australia

You can earn a load of money in Australia to help fund your travels!

Final Bit of Advice and my top 5 Tips on how to get a SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa:

1. Do it properly and do your 88 days of farming – you will LOVE it.

2. Apply online on the official website and NOT through an agency.

3. Leave Australia the day your first Working Holiday ends – even if it’s just to New Zealand and apply online – you’ll get a full year to activate ANY time you want within the next year, rather than have it continue from your first year.

4. Don’t forget to check all the details – the ABN of your company, the signed document from the company, your age when you apply (30 years and 364 days old is the maximum age and remember Australia is a different time zone).

5. DO IT. Australia is a fantastic country with amazing sights and great people. There is an abundance of work out there and it is all very well paid. I managed to backpack my way to Antarctica and Machu Picchu on the strength of working hard in Australia. Live your travel dreams my friends…

Backpacking Northern Ireland flag in Antarctica.

I made it to Antarctica all from working hard and saving money in Australia on my 2 working holidays!



114 thoughts on “How To Get A SECOND Australian Working Holiday Visa

  • i got my working visa just before i turned 31 and am now on it ! since3 i am 32 does this mean i can not apply for the 2nd year

  • Unfortunately yes Craig – its each visa separate and you must be below 31 for each visa at the time of applying. Just find another way to stay!! Safe travels. Jonny

  • hi im wondering if someone can give me some advice. I went to Australia on a working holiday visa. attempted to start my regional days and fell of a horse ( no joke) and returned back to England without doing my 88 days and my 1st year visa expired. Now I am wanting to return to Australia on another working holiday visa is this possible ? is there anyway of paying to get another year or would I have to come into the country do my 88 days and then get granted a visa? Please help x

  • Hi Rhianne, thanks for your comment. I have to say I personally don’t know the answer, BUT I know of people who applied for their second working holiday visa ONLINE using a fake employer code and details of where they said they did their 88 days and they got their visas no problem. Also to note that Melbourne and Sydney airports are more strict on arrival with the second working holidays – arriving in the back door somewhere like Hobart or Gold Coast would be easier just in case they check details on arrival. GOOD LUCK and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi there. Similar situation as previous post. Only stayed in oz for 6 weeks and didn’t work and had to return back to UK for an operation so visa expired. Passport is stamped the 6 weeks so take it I would have no chance of applying for a 2nd visa?

    You wouldn’t happen to know if I could sit a driving test in oz whilst on a 3 month holiday visa would you?


  • Hi Scott. Thanks for your comment. You wont be able to get a second working holiday visa without either doing the farming work or faking that you did the farming work (which is possible, but not recommended – if it goes wrong you may be banned from entering the country again).

    As far as driving tests go, I’d get my driving test and licence in the UK if I were you (as 3 months is a tight schedule). That’s what I did. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny,

    Thanks for the quick response. My passport has been stamped entering and leaving Oz within the 6 weeks so would have no chance of even faking i worked for the 88 days. Wouldnt want to risk being banned either to be honest.

    I have a full UK license, the reason I was asking about eligibility to sit a driving test is because I have family in Newman and they have advised to get an HR license and I can try for work through contacts in the mining town. The HR license can only be sat in Australia regardless of having a UK equivalent. I could easily get a holiday only visa but need to know if I could sit a HR driving test while on this?

    You only need to have a car license for minimum 2 years to be eligible to sit an HR driving test. I’ve had my car license for 9 years now so looking at this as an option. Do you have any knowledge around license eligibility whilst on a holiday visa?

    Thanks again.

  • Hi Scott – I have to be honest and admit I don’t know the answer to this. I’m not even sure what an HR licence is. Similar to you though, I did my driving test in the UK and later moved to Australia to drive out there. I had my own car and the UK driving licence is fine for just a car, perhaps you’d need a different licence for other vehicles, but my honest answer is not sure. Good luck!!! Jonny

  • I need help. My daughter Sarah worked her 3months in a farm in Shepparton, Melbourne in 2001/20012, she left with all the written proof that she did her 88 days, her stupid mother (me), inadvertently threw all her paper work out in the last few weeks whilst decorating her room for her return from her 3 months stint in Thailland, she wants to return. To Australia for her second year in October, apart from contacting the farm which she is unsure will still have her details is there anything else we can do. Yours hopefully

  • Hi Diann,

    Really good question here and I have to be honest and admit I don’t know the answer – it might not be the actual documents needed these days – a letter from the old employer SHOULD be enough. You need the Australian Business Number of the company and a signature as far as I know – failing that – perhaps a nicely worded GENUINE letter to the Australian Visa Office might work – this is quite an unusual case – most return for their 2nd year soon after their first but with the gap, they might allow it easier. GOOD luck!! Jonny

  • hi,
    just wondering would you know the answer to my question. If your granted your second year working holiday visa for oz. while you are still currently on your first year visa, does your second year visa start straight away or does it only begin towards to end of your first working holiday visa?

  • Hi Rachel – thanks for the comment. I do know the answer – it will only start when you activate it – so this will mean either:

    1. It starts the day your first WHVisa ends (a continuation)
    2. It starts the day you arrive back into Australia from abroad

    Your first WHVisa remains until the last day it runs out – the second WHVisa cannot start during it. I left Australia the day my first visa ended and came back 4 months later for the second visa. Hope this clears things up for you. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Dina – it all depends on where it is – in the Outback regions this MIGHT count, or you could get your employer to sign you off so that it counts. There are ways round it! Stay positive and good luck. Jonny

  • Hey Jonny!
    Unfortunately I messed up my first year in Australia was there for 8 months and was about to do my farm work but was persuaded to come back to England to study and couldn’t find regional work at the beginning of my travels as it wasn’t the right season. So I am gutted now and I know you say you prefer to do it yourself which I wish I had for the experience but now I would like to return.
    Is there any ways in particular you have heard of to contact farmers to pay them to sign off?
    also I flew around a lot to see family so would this affect me when coming to lie about what dates I was working?
    Last question is would it be more difficult for me to fake it now that I am out of the country?

  • Hi Victoria,
    Nice story and sad you quit it early. If you’ve followed my stories on here, particularly my Sunday’s Inspiration Series, you’ll know I have a belief that if you WANT something enough you can get it. I always have. Believe in this and you’ll do it. Search forums for the answer, join Facebook groups that might help, ask friends, look for every possible way to do it. I’ve heard of guys paying farmers to do it – google it. It’s worth a risk for sure. With the flying around a lot – I doubt they’ll check your passport for that and if it was internal there’s not much proof. DO IT. I believe in you so you should too!! Keep me updated and safe travels. Jonny

  • hi jonny,
    Im currently in the process of doing my 88 days farm work, first week in. im going to be pretty close to my 1st whv running out. ive calculated ill have about 4 days to lodge my 2nd year application.
    Do you know if you can apply while you are still doing the 88 days or do you need to have finished them?


  • Hi Jonny,
    So im due to finish my 3 months regional work on the 13th may and my first year visa runs out on the 17th may…. do I have to wait until I’ve finished my regional work before I can apply for my second year? Or can I apply now?
    Also am I right in saying if you work full time for your employer 5 days a week for the 3 months straight you include the days off to work out the number of days?

  • Hi Jonny,
    Can you apply for your second year before you finished your regional work?
    My first year is due to run out five days after I’ve completed my regional work!

  • Hi, I heard that if you work weekends that you can get extra days signed off though I can’t find anything online that proves this.. Is it true?

  • Hi Stephanie – As far as I know the WHV goes by the NUMBER of days you work or the duration – nobody cares what days of the week they are so they could be Wednesday, Friday or Sunday and still count for just one day. In fact you’re probably better just doing a 9 hour shift over 9 days to get 9 days if you know what I mean. I did about 5-6 months of farming work and around 100 days which was all I needed at the time. Just make sure you have worked enough days or over a long period of time. Good luck. Jonny

  • Hi Charlotte thanks for the comment – to be honest I’m not totally sure on this as I was there about 4 years back and I applied after I had left Australia for the first time. it’s worth a try – as long as you have your 88 days done – you will be fine I’m sure!! Good luck. Jonny

  • Hi Charlotte thanks for the comment – I wish you good luck for all that – each situation can be different – I never counted days off but I worked over 88 days during a 5 month period with signed sheets to prove it if they had asked for them. Good luck. Jonny

  • Hi Scott – thanks for the comment – I seem to have attracted a lot of comments this week about this! At a guess I’d say you have to wait until you finish them. I had already left Australia and was in Africa when I applied for my second year visa. As long as you have proof of the 88 days you should be fine. If you’re worried about your visa running out – speak to imigration – I’ve heard of some doing a “bridging visa” between the 2 WHVs. Good luck!! Jonny

  • Hi, I wonder if you can help.

    I started on a farm on June 30th. Between June 30-July 15th I did 10 days work.
    On July 21st I am starting a new farm, 5 days a week.
    When will I have completed my farm work?

    Thank you.

  • Hi Kim, thanks for the comment – as long as you get your 88 days it doesn’t matter when, where or how. It could take you a year, it could take you 3 months if you only have a few days off. Although it was 4 years ago for me, so the rules could have changed. Good luck. Jonny

  • Hey Jonny!

    Thanks for getting back to me.

    I m still a little confused. Do the weekends count if I work 5 days a week or is it 88 days actually worked on the farm? I think the weekends count do if you stay on one farm, but I ve switched now…


  • Hi Kimby, I counted mine by actual days worked and as I did about 100 actual days, I was well over the required 88. I’d recommend doing 88 days just to make sure you get it, but I’ve heard of people cheating and “getting away with it”. That’s not for me – I liked the farm work and earned my crust. Good luck and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hey just a question if you know it., I’m from Northern Ireland so I have dual nationality iv been to Australia on my irish passport for over 3 years, if I use my British passport to go do you think I’ll get away with it as I don’t know weather your informations linked to your name or passport

  • Hi Simon – I’m from Northern Ireland too and have dual nationality like yourself. I toyed with doing this myself but instead moved to Hong Kong. If I were you, I would at least give it a try. If you want a tip – the airport at Coolangatta that is served by Air Asia seemed less strict on arrival. I accessed through it to start my second WHV. Good luck with it!! Jonny

  • Hello Jonny!
    Thank for your very instructive article! I currently am in my first working holiday visa and after only one month in the country I’m already thinking about my 2nd year visa! I would like to fo my 88 days of farm work in a row and I was wondering if you got any tips it good farm contacts where I could fo this. And by the way I’m traveling with my boyfriend si we would like a farm that hires more than one worker and accept male and female. Would you recommand looking online?
    Thanks in advance for your answer!

  • Hi Amanda, Thanks for your comment. I also did the 2 year visa and I recommend going to Tasmania to do the farming work – loads of jobs there, much cooler experience than the mainland and you’ll meet a bunch of people. I spent about 6 months in Tasmania working and loved it. Lline wasn’t really an option when I was there 5-6 years ago – it was all word of mouth and by staying in working hostels you’d meet people who would tell you about the jobs going in the region. Tasman Backpackers in Devonport is a good place for sorting out work. Good luck with it! Jonny

  • Hi Jonny,

    I’m planning on applying for my second year whilst still in Australia however I won’t be in the country try when my first year ends. Will the visa still begin automatically or will it be when I reenter the country?

    Ideally I’d like to begin the second year when I re enter.

    Is this possible?


  • Hi Ben, I’m sure I’ve mentioned it all above, but if you want it to continue from your first year, then you apply when you are IN Australia. If you want it to start from the day you re-enter the country, then you apply when you are OUTSIDE Australia. I was in South Africa when I applied for my second year WHV and I activated it on arrival at Coolangatta Airport, the 365 days start the day you get the passport stamp and arrive. Hope this makes sense. Regards and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny! I stupidly did only 86 days of farm work and now, other than regret it a lot because I had the chance to complete the whole 88, I don’t know whether to be honest to the government hoping it will pay me off (as in they’ll give me the 2nd visa anyway) or to cheat and add two more days… Is there actually the possibility that they ban me from the country? For how many years?
    Thanks in advance,

  • Hi Fede, I would just make up the extra 2 days or make it up to 90/91 etc., they won’t give you the visa for falling 2 days short, they have to have a cut off line and it was 88 when I was there, so just make it up and then use a less popular airport to arrive at for your second WHV so they don’t strictly check small details. Best of luck, Jonny

  • Oh wow Jonny, it seems like you know quite well about what to do in a defacto visa case. You know, this is something that my sister in-law also experienced with. It happened with her husband who was from central america and was having some type of complications of entering back into Australia since he does have proof of working in Sydney for more than six months.

  • Hi Correy, thanks for the comment, yes I was able to get the second working holiday by doing farming work on the first one. I’m surprised your sister in law experienced a complication, especially since she had proof of it, but Australia can be strict so I guess it’s up to the police on arrival. If I go back there I will just go on a tourist visa. Safe travels. Jonny

  • I am with a working holiday visa and I am working for the crown casino so it is possible 🙂 !!!

  • Hi Jonny,

    I desperately want to go back and do a second year, like a lot of people, I had to come back early (after only 4 months) and don’t have time to go and do the 88 days. I’m guessing they aren’t sympathetic to reasoning behind coming back, so it’s probably best not contacting the embassy to explain the situation. So I’m going the cheat route. Do you think it’d be better/easier to say I’d done 88 days woofing rather than working, as I wouldn’t have to provide payment proof?

  • Hi Paulina, thanks for the comment. I am not sure if the Casino work counted when I was there about 5-6 years ago but good luck and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Ryan, thanks for the comment. I’m not sure what you mean by “come back early”? You mean go back to Australia before you turn 31? As long as you have done 88 days out of your first Working Holiday of 365 days you will be fine, in fact that’s only about 25% of your time on the visa, so it should be doable in three months. I’d get a farmer to sign you off legitimately, as the Woofing thing sounds dodgy to me, as you weren’t paid for that, but either way, good luck with it and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny,

    Thanks for the help! Unfortunately not, I started my visa January this year, and had to come back to the UK in April. Due to having an operation (and heading to Japan in November!) I’ve not got time to go back and do the 88 days :(. I was just wondering which way would be best to go about getting the 2nd year visa. I presume you can’t go and do the 88 days in the regular 3 month holiday visa?

  • Hi Ryan, I’m pretty sure you have to do the 88 days in the Working Holiday Visa, not on a 3 month tourist visa. Good luck just winging it! Safe travels. Jonny

  • Ok so who can answer this

    I go oz in March I’m 30 and 31 in sept, as I can’t apply for the 2nd visa at the end of my first as I’ll be too old can I apply for the 2nd year as soon as I do my 88 days so before my 31st?

  • Hi Christian, thanks for the comment. Like yourself, I’m just a traveller and I’m not involved with any government or visas in Australia so I can’t answer that. They are always changing the rules, so just contact the government and check everything thoroughly with them. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi johny,

    I have been in oz 10 years ago on a working holiday visum. I now want to do this again before i turn 31.
    i did worked on farms but i have no real proof anymore. Is it also fine to enter the work and holiday after 10 years?

  • Hi Joyce, of course it’s fine as long as you fit all the criteria, so 30 years and 364 days old or younger and 88 days of farming work and holding a passport to one of the countries that is accepted. Good luck. Jonny

  • I’ve got a bit of a problem. I’ve worked enough to get the second year visa and I already applyed for it a bit longer than a month ago now I’m on my bridging visa which will run out in a few days. Now I don’t know what I’m gonna do. hope for quick answers!

  • Hi Lyn, thanks for the comment. I met a few others that were also on a bridging visa and it always worked out OK for them. Hope you get sorted soon, best of luck! Jonny

  • Hi Jonny im flying out on the 28th of april to start my first year, do you need to work your 3 months in a row or can you do it over the year?


  • Hi Jack, thanks for the message. They change the situation a lot. When I did it, it was 88 days in the space of 365 days, so you could do them any time in that year. I hope it’s still the same as it’s easier that way. Good luck and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny. I went to Australia in 2011. Visiting my sister. But she paid for the visa for me and set it all up but neither of us can remember whether it was a working 12 mnth visa. Or just a regular holiday 12 mnth visa. Anyway. I had to come back to England due to a family death after 3 months. And didn’t go back. My sister now says I won’t be granted another visa. Of any type. Is this true? Surely not? Hope you can help! Thanks, Katie.

  • Hi Katie, thanks for your comment. From what you say, I’d say you will never be able to get another Working Holiday Visa as they are for 18-30 year olds but all other visas should be fine, no worries! Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny, I am turning 31 next March and I am planning to get my first working holiday visa soon. If I still have 6 months due to expire for the first working holiday visa. Could I apply the second working holiday (when there is half year before visa expired)?

  • Hi Jo, I am not sure on that, you will have to check with the authorities and things change a lot. I waited until my first year ended, went backpacking for 6 more months (Africa and South America) and applied for my second year then. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny

    My boyfriend and I are heading out on our 1st WHV in October this year, we are starting off in Melbourne & kind of winging it. We are almost 100% sure we will be doing regional work to be granted a 2nd WHV. I would just like to know what months are the best to clock up 88 days work and is the pay rate good? Also I am fair skinned & burn easily (will be stocked up with sunscreen!) will there be work in the cooler months for the specified work? We are looking to maybe start that kind of work between March & May so it gives us plenty of time before our first year visa runs out.


  • Hi Lisa, thanks for the comment. I was there 2009 – 2011 so things will have changed a lot. The rate of pay was simply amazing. I remember earning about $1,200 a week on broccoli farms back in those days and there was no shortage of work and the AU Dollar was strong. I’d recommend doing broccoli cutting in Tasmania for the 88 days, some of my stories are here: . Yes there’s lots of work all year round, Australia’s climate is similar to that of the UK if you are in Victoria or Tasmania. The rest of it is a lot hotter. Best wishes. Jonny

  • Hi I’m going on a working visa I will be 30 but on my second year I will be 31 can I still stay

  • Hi Stephen, I’m not a visa agency sadly, only a travel blogger! You’ll need to check with the authorities on that one. Things change and vary depending on age, passport, all sorts of things. But in 2009 when I was in Australia, it was fine to be 30 and get a WH Visa on an Irish passport, even if I later turned 31. Good luck checking it out. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny, hopefully you’ll be able to help with answer/s because I can’t find anything on the internet. I entered into AU on a work/holiday visa 7 months ago as a single person although was engaged before coming to AU. My girlfriend’s work holiday visa application was rejected because AU said her country of citizenship was not legible. I recently returned to my homeland and married my fiance’ and now I’m wanting to return to AU with my wife to continue my work/holiday visa plans etc… Is it possible my visa 417 will be revoked as my marital status has now changed and/or do you think it’s possible my wife can now get a visa 417? We’re hopeful but not sure.

  • Hi Ty, Sadly I’m just a blogger who was out in Australia well over 5 years ago since I left it now, so can’t really help. I was there from 2009 – 2011 on a first then a second working holiday visa on a UK passport but things will have changed. All you can do is check with the authorities and hope everythign runs smoothly. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny

    I hoping you can help! My second year 417 runs out in November – do you know if I leave and come back and apply for another 417? I am 28 so below the age limit.



  • Hi Charlie, I’m also just a tourist so I am not sure about the visas anymore. I was in Australia in 2009 and I did one year, then got my second year. But I didn’t apply for a third year, wasn’t sure if they even have that option but I hope you find out and get sorted. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny….I know you did Australia 5 years ago now and your probably sick of this post, but this blog is v enlightening. Do you know the time limit between finishing your first whv and applying for your second?

  • Hi Nath, what do you mean by limit? Both visas are exactly a year, so the limit is 365 days. In terms of the time in between the two visas, again this can be 1 day, or up to 12 years, if you did your first one aged 18 and your second one aged 30 (which is the oldest you can be for it in most cases). Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi wonder if you can help I was in Australia 3 yrs ago o
    On working holiday visa an fine the 2 years
    .is it possible to apply for another working holiday visa
    As I’ve been out of the country for so long,,thanks

  • Hi guys, I have done my 2nd visa request……….I have done 87 days from 25/01/2016 to 20/04/2016 .
    I didn’t know about the rule and my employer is willing to have me back.
    I confirmed with my payslips so the application is done.
    Do they really refuse for 1 single day????

  • Hi Enrico, as mentioned before I am just a tourist and blogger, I do not know the current rule about the visas and it was a long time ago that I was in Australia. Good luck with your application. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Kevin, as I mentioned I am a tourist and traveller and not an official representative so you will have to contact official governments and embassies about that. The last I heard was that you can have two working holiday visas between the ages of 18 and 30 (up to your 31st birthday) as long as you do 88 days of farming work in the first 12 months. But really – check the situation before you apply. Safe travels and good luck. Jonny

  • Hi Hayley, thanks for the comment. I agree with you – anyone that moans about it, doesn’t deserve their visa in the first place. I mean it’s hardly slavery. The broccoli and cauliflower work remain some of my favourite times as a tourist around the world. I wish more people would lose their posh up market pants and start cleaning toilets for gold. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny,

    Thanks for the article, and for keeping up with everyone’s comments! I have my own question for you:

    I was out working in WA in 2012, regional exploration, I did 69 days while on my 417, then many more on a 457. Having left and now wanting to return (I’m 27 now), I know that technically I don’t have the 88 days while being on my first 417 (although easily 88 days within my first year there). And now it costs $440AUD to put the application in! So basically I was wondering, with your wealth of experience and hearing other people’s stories, do you think it worth the risk if I just put my working days down on the application and hope they don’t notice that some of those days were after my visa status got upgraded? How thorough do we think they are? Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Cheers, JB

  • Hello,

    I have a question regarding the second year visa. I have the ABN numbers of the 2 places i completed my 88 days work during my first working holiday visa but have lost the paper work as this was back in 2013.

    I am now wanting to go back out there to complete the second year visa, i was wondering can i apply for the second working holiday visa while on an Australian tourist visa?

    If this isn’t possible i assume i will have to apply before i enter the country.


  • Hello quick question, do you have to do the 88 days work with the same employer or can you split it? Say a month one one farm, and two on another one?? Thanks very much x

  • Hi

    I turn 31 on Feb the 10th. MY first year runs out on the 20th Feb and I am currently in New Zealand. I am in the process of applying for my second year. Do I need to cancel my first year as it hasn’t run Out?


  • Hi Rachael, it was really 7 years ago since I was there so I have NO IDEA what the rules are today. You will need to check it yourself, this was just a travel blog, nothing too official. At the time I worked all over the place in different companies and did well over 88 days but check it all first and good luck. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Amanda, Thanks for the comment it was really 7 years ago since I was there so I have NO IDEA what the rules are today. You will need to check it yourself, this was just a travel blog, nothing too official. At the time I didn’t have to cancel any visa but check it all first and good luck. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Amanda – just to help you out.
    You will need to apply to get your first visa cancelled if it hasn’t yet. This is an easy process – you can find out more on the Immigration website – I’m pretty sure you can email this through and is actioned fairly quickly.

    More generally and referencing other comments / questions (and slight misrepresentation in the main blog) –
    If you are IN Australia when your second year is granted, it starts the day of grant and allows you to remain in Australia for two years from the date of first entry. This is worth remembering if you are hoping to work for more than six months with an employer over the two visas because as soon as the second year is granted, the six month rule resets, not on the date your first visa would have ended.

  • Hi Hannah, thanks for the comments and apologies for any late replies – I don’t work here anymore and rarely check the website these days. But as I mentioned, please check with the relevant authorities as it was 8 years ago since I moved to Australia and for sure things will have changed in many ways. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jeremy, thanks for the comment. As mentioned, I am just a tourist and backpacker myself and this is my travel blog. I don’t really know how that would work for you – so best to contact the Australian government and check with them. I hope you will be OK with it and best wishes. Jonny

  • Hi JB, thanks for the comment. As mentioned, I am just a tourist and backpacker myself and this is my travel blog, sadly I also quit the blog and don;t work here anymore so I seldom log in to check new comment. I don’t really know how that would work for you as I had done the work needed to get this visa and so had my friends. I guess you could fake the number of days, but if they really charge you $440 AUD that is a lot of money. If it was me, I probably wouldn’t apply in that case, unless you get the money back if they reject you. Safe travels and best wishes. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny,

    I am four weeks in doing my farmwork outside Melbourne and myself and a couple of friends are on ABN. Can you get a second year visa on ABN?



  • Hi Aislinn, thanks for the comment. What do you mean by ABN? Is it an Australian Business Number? I have no idea what you mean, I was there in 2009 so a long time ago, when I was there you only needed to do 88 days of farming work to get a second year working holiday visa. Safe travels. Jonny

  • I am writing on behalf of my step-son, 23yrs old. I have a query about an Australian Visa that, to me at least, does not seem straightforward.

    He arrived in Australia in May 2015 on a working holiday visa, he worked in various places, leaving the country in April 2016. In the time he was there, he did not complete his Agricultural work. He wants to return to Australia in January 2018, with a plan to work for 12 months.

    He is of the belief that he will be able to get another working holiday visa because of the time that has elapsed since he was last there, but we feel that he is wrong and that he won’t be able to work because of the time he was there previously.

    Does it matter when you were last there working, or will he need to be less than ‘truthful’ about doing his agricultural work?
    Thank you.

  • Hi Jo, As I always say I am just a tourist – please contact the authorities about it. In theory if he is under 31 and fakes a 3 month contract of farming work, then he SHOULD be fine (pay a farmer to sign it off), but I was there 7-8 years ago and things may have changed. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Dear all !
    I had an Australian working visa 21 years ago and eventually got a temp residency visa in Sydney however made a huge error by meeting someone and moving back to the UK and gave up that opportunity.
    Fast forward 21 years and I want to go back next year but unsure of how I could do this – any ideas other than a study visa ? My extended family live in Sydney therefore are unable to sponsor me as it is a restricted zone to sponsor apparently.
    I would really appreciate any advice guys
    Thanks – Kerry

  • I completed my first year working holiday visa and the did regional work to extend my visa I completed this and moved back to England in 2015 after doing a full 2 years
    Am I able to apply for another working holiday visa 417? If so how many years do I have to wait?
    I am 23 now so good few years off 30/31 I hope this helps me
    Thank you

  • Hi Abigail, thanks for the message. As you’ll have noticed (I hope) I am just a tourist like you – I have no authority on issuing visas so you will have to ask the relevant authorities. When I was there (2009 – 2011), if I used both my working holiday visas, then NO I wouldn’t be able to get a third one. However, I could instead have gone for a tourist visa (and worked illegally) or a working visa, so there are always more options for you. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Kerry, thanks for the comment. You’ll obviously have to contact the relevant embassies etc. but my advice would be either:

    1. Get a tourist visa. Once you get there, work illegally for a bit and try to turn that tourist visa into a genuine working visa.
    2. Get a working visa. In most cases you need a company to sponsor you, but it can be done.

    Good luck and safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Jonny! I am coming to the end of my WHV and was going through the sponsorship process with my employer. Unfortunarely I found out a couple of days ago that I will be unable to get sponsored however I now don’t have enough time to complete my regional work – only a couple of days behind! Do you know if I can start my farm work but finish after my first WHV has expired? Thanks in advance!

  • Hi Harry, thanks for the comment. As mentioned many times, I am just a tourist like you, and have no say or influence on the rules or immigration. I was merely telling my story and how you can get the working holiday visas in 2009 – 2011. No doubt the rules will have changed now since I backpacked it, but at that time (6-8 years ago) you needed either 88 days of farming work or a document proving you did 88 days of farming work if you faked it. I did it for real and try to be as honest and passionate as possible. Good luck with your application. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hello!

    My girlfriend had a W/H visa 2 years ago but didn’t work or stayed over 3 months (Sweden tourist visa limit).
    She applied for a new one and got granted a new visa immediately. It’s worth mentioning that she has a new passport and in the application said that she haven’t had a working holiday visa before.

    Is this something they will notice at the airport in Australia or she safe to go? A bit worried to get denied entry at the airport. But as she got the visa granted everything should be clear, right?

  • Hey Jonny!
    Was wondering of you could help me out. I’m on my first WH visa and already been 8 months and stupid me just realized I would like to do my farm work but I’m running out of time! Is there any way to longer the first visa at all so I would have time to complete the farm work?? Or any chance you could do the days later :/ ?? I’m so annoyed that I’m so late with this!
    Thanks for your help in advance!

  • Hello,

    Great article! In the article the tips are awesome. I have never heard of this before! I can’t wait to give it a try!

    And if you’ve been in Australia on a Working Holiday Visa and you would like to stay longer in Australia, then the Visa First can organize a Second Year Australian Working Holiday Visa for you.

    And by this, you will allow enjoying in Australia for another 12 months.

    And thanks for sharing this fantastic post.

  • Hi Nadine, thanks for the comment, as you might have realised I am also a tourist, not a visa agency so I am not sure of that scenario these days. I do remember in 2009 – 2011 when I was in Australia that you had to do 88 days of proper labour work within the first 365 or it couldn’t be renewed for a second year. Perhaps it has changed, but I am not sure. I hope you got sorted. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi, just wondering if you would know the answer to my question. I have finished my first year and completed farm work, and I am currently travelling. I am soon to be going to New Zealand but it’s cheaper to fly to the Gold Coast and then New Zealand, however I didn’t want to apply for my second year visa yet. Do you know if it is possible to go to Australia on a tourist visa between applying for 2nd year WHV?

  • Tusk Gallery is an art gallery based in Melbourne Australia. We have artworks and contemporary paintings by many amazing Australian artists to buy online art australia as well as several fabulous artists from Thailand and Indonesia. Our website features hundreds of buy online art australia available via online art sale or they can be viewed at our Melbourne Art Gallery.

  • Hi Mack, thanks for the comment. Yes if you meet the criteria (age, nationality, farm work etc.) then it’s easy to get the second working holiday visa, as I did back in 2011. Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hey Jonny
    great work btw .I’m in a bit of a situation. I Had to leave Australia due to my visa expiring ,I’m irish have an irish passport but my mum’s English which means I can get a english passport would I be able apply for another working holiday visa on my English one or would I get stopped on entry ..also what would be the consequences any advice would be greatly appreciated..keep up the good work an traveling lad ?

  • Hi Jonny,

    My gf wants to go to rural and work her 88 days soon. She is excited and both scared at the same time. She doesn’t mind the work that she has to do but she is afraid of the treatment she will get once there. Obviously she won’t be treated like a queen, but because she lacks english, she is afraid people will treat her like dirt. Accommodation will be dirt. Etc.
    You sound like you had a blast, and ofcourse every workplace will be different. But any comments on this situation?

  • Hi Gustav, thanks for the comment. Firstly I’ve been in deep depression and haven’t checked all of the 2,000 comments the last 3 years. Secondly, sadly I’m just a tourist and immigrant like you and don’t really known any better than the airports or governments. In fact I grew to hate bureaucracy and racism on my travels. Thirdly, I hope you got sorted okay!! Safe travels. Jonny

  • Hi Sasha, Thanks for the comment and apologies for the huge delay. I am finally getting round to going through a lot of old comments having suffered severe depression recently. Unfortunately I am just a tourist like you so I don’t have much authority. I was in Australia from 2009 – 2011 on separate Working Holiday visas. But I wouldn’t see a problem having a tourist visa in between them as long as you are still under 30 when applying for the second Working Holiday visa (as far as I remember) so good luck with it all and stay safe. Jonny

  • Hi Paul/Adny, Thanks for the comment and I am extremely sorry for the huge delay in replying to you. I have been going through problems with depression and wasn’t checking the comments or messages that much. If it was me, I would apply for as many as you can get!! Use both passports, if they fail then go for the second year visa. Stay safe. Jonny

  • Hi Leonard, Thanks for the comment and apologies for the huge delay. I have been suffering from long term depression caused by a liar. Due to that, I wasn’t checking and answering all emails and comments as often as I should. I am sure your “gf” (do you mean girlfriend?) will enjoy Australia – an excellent country to backpack. Stay safe. Jonny

  • Hello, don’t suppose you would have any info on any places that may sign you off illegally or know of anyone specifically who has, I returned due to covid and missed out on my farm work i am absolutely gutted I would of been back by now but can’t get back into the country and my visa is expiring in 3 months. I wanted to stay but had no choice but to return to England. Now desperately trying to find a way to get signed off so I can return on a second visa once this all blows over…

  • Hi Sophia, Thanks for the comment and for following my story. I was in Australia 2009 – 2011 and recommend doing the farming work. In fact it doesn’t have to be farming, it can be other rural work – check with the regulations and hopefully you will find a way to do it. Stay safe! Jonny

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

CommentLuv badge